The dismantling of the social capital that would be the foundations for a Big Society has begun.Its already started as ‘False Economy’ is publishing summaries of the cuts that will be ripping the heart out of the local groups that are the foundations for the future Big Society. http://falseeconomy.org.uk
Kathy Thomas, Chief Executive of the Rochdale Connections Trust said that whilst there are opportunities to explore other avenues for funding she is concerned that national organisations will come into the borough and access funding smaller organisations can’t. She said: “My huge concern is that larger national organisations could come into the borough and say they are providing services and access funding that we can’t.
“We heard yesterday that Link4Life and Rochdale Boroughwide Housing are applying for a grant to support voluntary and community sector infrastructure. They are offshoots of the council and in effect they are competing with a local charity voluntary organisation.
I think we are seeing the ‘Big Beasts’ flexing muscle to ensure they dominate and the grip of Councils will not loosen as ALMO’s shift into the ring, ready for the first round of bids. It may be a knockout blow to smaller groups that spent years building a social capoital that will go in months. No funding, no future.
Subscribe for free
Register For This Site
Latest Forum Discussions
- Resourcing Projects and Programmes
- Recruitment and selection practices in the public sector
- Open source CMS
- Openness Is A Matter of Perspective
- UK Buzz Index for October 2011
- Mobile Government, Citizens & Data - Interim survey report
- Next Generation mGovernment Services – Learning and sharing how Gov’ is connecting, engaging and reaching people effectively over mobile digital networks and devices.